Deer and Doe Plantain t-shirt

This is the FREE Plantain t-shirt pattern by French company Deer and Doe, and we highly recommend it! Made up here in The Drapery's 100% organic cotton Australian-made knit, in chocolate.

This pattern ticks all the boxes that I was looking for in a basic winter tee pattern for layering:
- narrow sleeves and fitted upper body (good for under dresses and shirts)
- scooped but not-too-revealing neckline
- a little loose over the hips so it doesn't suffer from that creep-up-to-the-waistline.

The pattern seems very nicely drafted and true to the measurements provided. The instructions are excellent, with plenty of tips for those new to sewing knits, and directions that encourage attention to detail, like 'press with generous steam'. It even has cute little elbow patches (that you can't see in this photo). It's only available as a print-at-home PDF, but that's okay given it's free! And if you only print the actual pattern pieces, it's just 20 pages which is reasonable.

This whole garment can be made on a regular sewing machine using a ballpoint needle and zigzag or stretch stitch. A walking foot is also helpful when sewing knits. I used my overlocker for all the seams but hemmed and topstitched the neckline using a small zigzag.

You can probably see here that I have turned up a deep hem, since the garment was a bit long on me. But taller and/or longer-waisted people may like to use the full length.

If you like the look of Deer and Doe, we have many of their other lovely (printed and beautifully presented) patterns in store. I'm just washing some of our lovely Birch organic cotton knit to make my next Plantain....

Get your Plantain pattern here!

- Jane & Fiona xx

PS - FYI on yardage - I have just been able to easily cut out the size 42 from 1.6m of the Birch knit which is 110cm wide (rather than the 2.25m recommended for that width).

Edited to add: here's my second Plantain! And probably not my last.


Comments

  1. So you were happy with the 42? I think we are pretty much Twinsy (apart from my huge baby belly) how would it go in that merino knit you had in stock?

    You look fab, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole :) Yes I think we are twinsies in sizing if you didn't have that basketball up ya jumper! Yes the 42 was great and although I graded out to 44 in the hips it wasn't really necessary. We are now out of merino knits... but seriously contemplating getting more. They sold so slowly last winter but we've had a number of requests with the recent cold snap! I think this pattern would be great in merino.

      Delete
    2. There, I knew I should have purchased some!
      If you get in more, may you let me know?
      Thank you!

      PS Thanks for the sizing info

      Delete
    3. I will let you know for sure! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love to know who's reading and what you think so please leave us a comment! We'll also try to answer any questions you may have.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: In The Folds Jumpsuit (free pattern for Peppermint Magazine)

Care of your Boiled Wool

Boiled Wool Shrug - free tutorial