Liberty Love: Tessuti Kate Top


With Summer still chugging along for most of us here in the Southern Hemisphere, it feels like there are still plenty of reasons to squeeze in a light, airy garment or two. And, really, a singlet is perfect late-Summer sewing fare: it's quick to sew, takes a relatively small amount of fabric and can easily be teamed with a cardigan as the weather changes. If you need any further convincing, may I suggest Liberty?


I'd been quite taken by the Tessuti Kate Top when I'd seen it do the round of the internets late last year. It's a nice boxy style singlet but with some extra details that make it a little more spesh. Kate comes in two versions - mine is option B which features a highline neck plus back opening with button-loop, as opposed to option A's lower, scooped neck. I hoped that the higher neckline would work with my broad shoulders and be good mates with two other wardrobe staples: my favourite black Grainline Moss Skirt and jeans. And it is! So I made two.


My first version was made from this slightly texured Moda Crossweave in Chalk with no modifications to the pattern. The slightly cropped length really works with a light yet substantial fabric like this one that emphasises the boxy shape a bit. The lovely ladies over at Bombazine suggested that the Kate is at her best in a more structured fabric, and I reckon they're onto something there. 

Having said that, for my second Kate in Liberty Curly Whirly I added an inch to the length to accommodate the extra drape of the Liberty (and so I could wear it comfortably with jeans). This is a great pattern for getting a little bit of Liberty to go a long way - Kate can be cut from 90cm of Tana Lawn (although I cut a metre of this one to allow for the extra length)


It's pretty much impossible to see the mitred corners and deep hem around the size slits with this busy pattern, but they are there!


Aaaand from the back. I can pull this on and off with the button done up, but the little loop and opening give such a nice finish. Plus the inside of the opening is finished with a really neat little facing. Most pleasing!


Kate comes together really quite smoothly. Tessuti directions are always easy to follow with large photographs of each step, and I found the size to be true to my measurements. We don't sell the Tessuti patterns in store, but Kate is available direct from them as a PDF download (with both home and copy shop print options thankfully!) or paper pattern.

- Fiona & Jane xx

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does look really great. It's only slightly boxy - not overwhelming. I really like the look of it. I just wonder if I would/should do an FBA adjustment ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love to know who's reading and what you think so please leave us a comment! We'll also try to answer any questions you may have.

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: In The Folds Jumpsuit (free pattern for Peppermint Magazine)

Care of your Boiled Wool

Boiled Wool Shrug - free tutorial